Apply to MDiv Program
Step Two: Carefully read ALL the instructions below before clicking the application link.
For technical questions regarding the application process, please contact us at 615-343-3963 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Divinity School requires the following application checklist items:
- Transcripts from each college and/or university you have attended
- Three letters of recommendation (see below for details)
- Complete essays for Statement of Purpose section (see below for prompts)
- A resume, required if you have not pursued formal academic studies for 3 years or more.
- A Background Check Authorization & Release Form. All admissions are issued pending our receipt & approval of the results of the applicant's background check. Download the Vanderbilt Background Check Authorization & Release form , fill it out and return to:
Vanderbilt Divinity School
Office of Admissions
411 21st Avenue South, Room 102
Nashville, TN 37240
Please make the following selections from the program menu to apply to the MDiv program:
Please note the following as you complete the application:
- In the Academics section, unofficial transcripts will suffice for admission, but official transcripts must be provided in order to matriculate into the degree program. First term grades of graduating seniors must be received prior to an admission decision. After submitting your application, you will be prompted to upload transcripts in the "Additional Materials" section.
- In the Recommendations sections, at least two references should be from professors who can evaluate your academic work. If you have been away from formal academic studies for 7 years or more, you may select any three persons who can evaluate your academic potential & professional accomplishments.
- Test Scores: The Divinity School does not require the GRE or MAT.
However, international Students should report in this section results from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) OR the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Applicants whose native language is not English must achieve a minimum score of 600 on the paper test, 250 on the computer-based test, or 95 on the internet-based test. The minimum acceptable score for the IELTS is 7.0. Scores should be sent to institution code 1871.
After completing and submitting your application, you may access the Application Status Page. This page will keep you updated as to the status of your application and the outstanding requests for transcripts and references.
This section is also where you upload the following materials:
- Unofficial transcripts (including first term grades for graduating seniors) for all colleges and/or universities you have attended.
- A resume, which is required if you have not pursued formal academic studies for 3 years or more.
- If you are a transfer student, upload a) a letter stating the reasons for transferring & (b) a letter of good standing from the president or dean of the theological school from which the transfer is being made.