External Funding Sources
External Scholarships will be applied to your Financial Aid package and can be a useful resource for decreasing or eliminating your student loans.
- Cappex - Very large scholarship website. Requires for you to create a profile in order to search for scholarships but allows a great degree of customization.
- Career One Stop - Resource for scholarship, fellowships, loans, and other types of financial aid that can be searched by category and with keywords.
- The Center for Scholarship Administration - The Center for Scholarship Administration has hundreds of scholarships available by online application. Click on the scholarships' tab and browse available applications. Deadlines are posted. Deadlines open and close throughout the year.
- Chegg - General college study resource with scholarships available. Not a great deal of customization in scholarship searches, but it does have a personalized account by which it matches you with scholarships.
- CollegeBoard - CollegeBoard is a college-based scholarship search engine that matches candidates with particular university scholarships.
- College Data - Find the scholarships that are looking for students like you – with your academic qualifications, interests, and other personal characteristics.
- College Scholarships - Online scholarship database with an article on different types of financial aid for religious and theology students along with links to specific grants and scholarships.
- The Community Foundation Scholarships - The Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee awards grants for a broad array of charitable purposes.
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund - The Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund aids people active in movements for social and economic justice. Due: April 1st
- Epsilon Sigma Alpha Foundation - The Epsilon Sigma Alpha Foundation awards numerous scholarships annually, you do not have to be an ESA member to apply for a scholarship, and our application process is online.
- Fastweb - Fastweb is an individualized scholarship search engine that matches candidates with potentially applicable scholarships.
- FinAid - FinAid is a guide for students with questions regarding scholarships, loans, savings, military aid, and other financial aid queries.
- Niche - Large easily searched resource for scholarships by major or religion. Also allows you to create an account and customize your scholarship searches.
- Peterson’s - Over 700 scholarships for graduate students studying theology.
- Scholarships.com - One of the largest scholarship databases that is updated daily, and allows for a great deal of customization.
- Scholarship Monkey - Useful scholarship research site. Not a whole lot of ways to search for scholarships but they do have a couple hundred religious scholarships.
- Unigo - At least 10,000 religious scholarships available
General Religious Scholarships
- Abdel Ross Wentz Prize in American Lutheran History - The Abdel Ross Wentz Prize is presented to the author of the most outstanding essay or research paper dealing with American Lutheran history.
- Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty - Provides merit-based scholarships to emerging leaders who demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between religion and politics, government, and economics.
- AmeriCorps - The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is a post-service benefit received by participants who complete a term of national service in an approved AmeriCorps program.
- Baptist Life Scholarship - The Baptist Life Insurance Agency awards several annual $1,000 scholarships to full-time undergraduate and graduate students. Due: May 31st
- Calihan Academ ic Grants - Calihan Academic Grants provide scholarships and research grants to future scholars and religious leaders whose academic work shows outstanding potential. Due: July 15
- Calvary Foundation Grant - The Calvary United Methodist Church’s Calvary Foundation seeks to support students from the Maryland/DC/Virginia area. Due: April 15
- Chaplain Samuel Grover Powell Scholarship Fund - To provide scholarship assistance to students preparing for chaplaincy in any branch of the military. Due: July 1
- Church Mutual Insurance Scholarship - One-time, non-renewable $5,000 scholarships for students from any faith tradition committed to entering the practice of full time ministry in the United States.
- Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee - Scholarships are available for particular schools and areas, particular programs or fields of study, and for others who need financial assistance.
- Dora Maclellan Brown Ministry Scholarship - The DMB Ministry Scholarships are available to Christian men and women who are: From the greater Chattanooga area; Theologically and biblically conservative; Seeking a master’s degree at a theological seminary or graduate school approved by The Generosity Trust. Due: Feb. 15
- Eastern Star Training Awards for Religious Leadership - ESTARL (Eastern Star Training Awards for Religious Leadership) is a scholarship fund for those who are going to school for the purpose of religious training. Each state administers their own ESTARL program.
- The Forum for Theological Education (FTE) - The Forum for Theological Education offers some fellowship and funding opportunities through the FTE Leaders program, as well as resources for those considering theological education.
- The FundFinder - Supported by the Forum for Theological Education (FTE). Provides information about financial resources for theological students. Sources of financial assistance in the FundFinder can be searched alphabetically, by keyword, and by specific categories. They include aid offered by various church denominations as well as particular resources for women, racial ethnic minorities, undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, postdoctoral, and international students.
- Going to Seminary - Website with lots of useful information for students planning on attending seminary or already enrolled. They also have a list of scholarships for seminary students that they have complied.
- Harvesters Student Scholarship - The Harvesters Student Scholarship exists to support individuals who subscribe to the Evangelical Christian faith to participate in professional and educational services as witnesses for their faith in action and to contribute to international development. Due: May 31
- Hawaii Community Foundation - Requirements: Be a resident of the State of Hawaii; Demonstrate financial need; Attend an accredited two or four year college or university within the United States as either an undergraduate or graduate student; Be a full-time student as determined by your institution; Maintain a minimum 2.7 GPA.
- International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons - Scholarships are awarded to those in financial need who have answered God’s call on their lives and are enrolled in a Master of Divinity program in an accredited seminary or college.
- Islamic Scholarship Fund - The Islamic Scholarship Fund provides scholarships to students who meet the following criteria: Muslim or active member of the Muslim community; Enrollment at an accredited university in the U.S.; Maintaining a minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average; A Citizen or Permanent Resident of the U.S.
- Logos Bible Software - Logos Bible Software has scholarships available for anyone. All you have to do is watch a video and fill out a questionnaire to be entered to win this scholarship. Open to everyone.
- Mustard Seed Foundation - To identify and mark Christian graduate students who possess exceptional leadership and academic abilities, and validate these abilities as gifts from God, worthy of cultivation. To equip them with financial resources necessary to undertake advanced study at premier graduate institutions in preparation for vocations that are culturally influential, and where there is little Christian presence. Due: Nov. 1
- Seminaryscholarships.org - Small searchable resource with scholarships specifically for seminary or PhD programs.
- Vanderbilt Honor Scholarships - For Graduates provides graduate research fellowships specifically for Vanderbilt students.
Congregational Bound Scholarships
- Champions for Christ Scholarship - The Champions For Christ Scholarship exists for those who are Christ’s servants called to follow Him, commissioned to share His word, dedicated to ministry, and leading others to Christ.
- Marguerite Young Endowment Fund - This endowment is designed for students of theology at an accredited university, seminary or theological school who are pursuing Christian ministry as a final career goal. Due: March 31
- Mary E. Bivins Religious Scholarship Program - The Mary E. Bivins Scholarship offers an award of $2,500 per semester for undergraduates and $3,500 per semester for graduate students studying divinity. Preference and precedence are given to those students working with an eye toward pulpit-based ministry. This scholarship is available annually. Jan. 31
- Opal Dancey Memorial Foundation - For Master of Divinity students preparing for pulpit ministry and with a connection to Great Lakes states. April 15
- Unitarian Universalist Ministerial Scholarships - The Ministerial Credentialing Office administers scholarship funds available to students who are in aspirant or candidate status and who are enrolled in a Master of Divinity degree program leading to fellowship as a Unitarian Universalist (UU) minister. Due: April 15
- American Baptist Church, USA Scholarships - Eligibility requirements include: Membership in an American Baptist Churches USA congregation; United States citizenship or permanent resident; Attend at (or plans to attend) an accredited educational institution in the United States or Puerto Rico. Due: April 30
- Baptist Communicators Association Scholarship - The Baptist Communicators Association offers $500 awards for seminary students, which may be renewed annually.
- Cooperative Baptist Fellowship - The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship values theological education as an important component of vocational ministry preparation. As a result, CBF invests in current and future ministry leaders by awarding up to 70 scholarships annually to Baptist students enrolled in a master's or doctoral program at an accredited institution of higher education, including those studying at one of CBF's partnering theological education institutions. Due: March 31
- WMU Foundation Scholarships - The WMU Foundation offers over 20 different scholarship programs for Baptist students around the world. Candidates must have parents affiliated with a Southern Baptist entity. The students must also be active in their faith community. There are scholarships available for both undergraduate and graduate studies. Most of the awards focus on missionary work and some are location specific.
Disciples of Christ
- Disciples Home Missions - The Disciples Home Missions scholarship is open to graduate students who are members in good standing of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the US and Canada. Ethnic and racial derivation may change the requirements for application, but demonstrated financial need and letters of recommendation from educators and clergy are required from all applicants.
- Phillips University Seminary Scholarship Program - For Phillips University graduates wishing to attend a seminary with ties to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), including Vanderbilt Divinity School.
United Church of Christ
- United Church of Christ Ministry Scholarships - List of scholarships available for members of the United Church of Christ or for those pursuing ministry in the UCC.
- The Milnes Fund of Pilgrim Congregational Church, UCC - This fund was established in 1996 through a bequest from Jack and Marjory Milnes to provide scholarships for individuals studying to become ministers in the UCC or to support missionary efforts in the United States or abroad.
To apply for a scholarship, please submit the following: 1.current curriculum vita and 2.cover letter which: includes a statement of ministerial philosophy; outlines future hopes/plans for ministry or mission; describes financial need; and lists three references, including one from your pastor.
Application should be submitted by October 1 to still receive money for THIS semester! For summer semester and December 1, for spring semester. Application should be sent to mail@Pilgrim-Church.com or Milnes Scholarship, Pilgrim Congregational Church, UCC, 400 Glenwood Drive, Chattanooga, TN 37404. Phone: 423-698-5682.
United Methodist Scholarships
- General Board of Higher Education - Part of the United Methodist church with a selection of scholarships for graduate students.
- Georgia Harkness Scholarships - To encourage women over 35 to prepare for ordained ministry as an elder in The United Methodist Church as a second career. March 1
- Grannis-Martin Foundation and Grannis Memorial Scholarship - First United Methodist Church of the St. Cloud Region has scholarships available that range in amounts up to $2,000. The scholarships are given out annually. Recipients must be preparing for ministry in the United Methodist Church and have a Minnesota connection.
- Jeanne Audrey Powers Leadership for Change Scholarship - The Leadership for Change Scholarship provides assistance of up to $3,000 per year to students who are preparing for ordination as elders in the UMC and who are committed to promoting justice for gay and lesbian persons in the life of the UMC. Scholarships may be renewed for a maximum award period of three years. Due: April 15
- Journey Toward Ordained Ministry - Student must be pursuing ordained ministry at either the undergraduate or graduate level; racial/ethnic minority aged 30 or under; member of UMC 2 years; must be attending a UM related institution. Due: March 1
- Luella M. Odell Memorial Scholarship - A $1,000 award granted annually to a seminary student who is a candidate for ordained ministry of the United Methodist Church. For information contact: The Luella M. Odell Memorial Scholarship c/o Wesley United Methodist Church 1385 Oakway Road Eugene, OR 97401.
- Onarga United Methodist Church Barber Scholarship - The Barber Education Trust was established in 1975 in memory of Edwin J. Barber for the purpose of assisting with the cost of tuition and fees for those persons seeking to become full-time workers in Christ’s church. Applications may be received by contacting the Barber Scholarship Committee at the Onarga United Methodist Church either by fax, US Mail (109 E Seminary Ave, Onarga, IL 60955) or E-Mailfirstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit request with a complete mailing address.
- Stegall Seminary Scholarship Endowment Foundation - Provides scholarship support for United Methodist students from the West Florida-Alabama Annual Conference.
- United Methodist Scholarship Search Engine - A search engine for various graduate scholarships available for members of the United Methodist Church.
- AAUW Educational Foundation, International Fellowships - International Fellowships are awarded for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Both graduate and postgraduate studies at accredited U.S. institutions are supported. Due: Dec. 1
- Japanese American Citizens League - Every applicant must be an active National JACL member. JACL membership is open to everyone of any ethnic background. All who meet eligibility criteria are welcomed and encouraged to apply. Due: March 1
- Justin Haruyama Ministerial Scholarship - For Japanese or Japanese-American seminarians. Due: May 29
- Korean American Scholarship - The Korean American Scholarship (KASF) is a non-profit 501(c)(3), volunteer-managed organization established to provide scholarships to the Korean American students, encourage community and civic service as an integral part of leadership development, and nurture the sense of pride and confidence in Korean cultural heritage and tradition.
- Margaret McNamara Memorial Grants - The MMMF awards education grants on a competitive basis to exceptional women from developing countries who have financial need and are committed to working to empower women and children.
- PEO International Peace Scholarship - An applicant must be qualified for admission to full-time graduate study and working toward a graduate degree in an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. A student who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada is not eligible. Due: March 1
- The Soros Fellowship Program - Honors and supports the graduate educations of 30 New Americans – permanent residents or naturalized citizens if born abroad; otherwise children of naturalized citizen parents -- each year. Due: Nov. 1
Scholarships for Women
- Bishop Murphy Scholarship for Women in Graduate Theological Study - For women who are: Members of the Women’s Ordination Conference; Enrolled or accepted in a graduate theological program of study or diocesan certificate program and preparing for Catholic ministry.
- The Church Training and Deaconess House Scholarship - Funds are available to women seeking to be ordained to the ministry or for a post-baccalaureate degree program which would further her lay ministry. Due: March 21
- Ethel Louise Armstrong Foundation, Inc. - This foundation offers scholarships to women with disabilities who are currently pursuing graduate degrees.
- Lydia Scholarship - The Lydia Fund is a scholarship program for women who have experienced God's call to become ordained pastors in the PC(USA) and who have a vision of spiritual renewal within the denomination. Administered by the Network of Presbyterian Women in Leadership, The Lydia Fund seeks to equip evangelical women for leadership in the PC(USA). For information contact: Lydia Scholarship Coordinator, Network of Presbyterian Women in Leadership. 8134 New LaGrange Rd. Suite 227 Louisville, Kentucky 40222-4679. Phone (360)370-5247
- National Women’s Studies Association - Established in 1977, the National Women’s Studies Association has as one of its primary objectives promoting and supporting the production and dissemination of knowledge about women and gender through teaching, learning, research and service in academic and other settings. Current individual membership is a requirement for all applicants for NWSA awards.
- New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs Margaret Yardley Fellowship - The Margaret Yardley Fellowship Fund was established in 1930 to provide fellowship grants to deserving women who are New Jersey residents pursuing post-graduate advanced studies at the school of their choice. Due: March 1
- The Order of the Daughters of the King, Master’s Fund - The Master’s Fund is intended to assist Daughters and other women to attend school to prepare for missionary and other church-related work. The emphasis is on the intended church-related career of the applicant, so that attendance at any accredited college, university or graduate school is permitted. Master’s Fund grants will be limited to communicants of the Episcopal Church, autonomous churches of the Anglican Communion or churches in communion with the Episcopal Church. Due: April 30
- Patsy Takemoto Mink Scholarship - For low-income mothers pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree.
- Toptal Scholarship for Women - For project learning and mentorship for tech-oriented female leaders wanting to change the world.
Scholarships for Minorities
- American Indian Graduate Center Scholarships and Fellowships - The American Indian Graduate Center, Inc. announces the availability of fellowships and loans for service to American Indian and Alaska Native undergraduate and graduate students. Various awards are available.
- Association of American Indian Affairs - Student must be enrolled in a tribe from the Continental US or Alaska. There is no minimum blood quantum requirement. Student must be enrolled full time both Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 at an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships - Through its Fellowship Programs, the Ford Foundation seeks to increase the diversity of the nation’s college and university faculties by increasing their ethnic and racial diversity, to maximize the educational benefits of diversity, and to increase the number of professors who can and will use diversity as a resource for enriching the education of all students. Due: Dec. 14
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People - POISE Foundation is proud to provide scholarship administration for the National NAACP Scholarship Program. Each year the NAACP, through generous donations, is able to provide scholarships to outstanding students. Due: April 28
- National Hispanic Scholarship Fund - HSF/ General College Scholarships are designed to assist students of Hispanic heritage obtain a college or graduate degree.
- Point Foundation (LGBTQI students) - Open to students who identify as LGBTQI.
- Scooters 'N Chairs Scholarship - Open to students with disabilities.
Scholarship Search Secrets: This site provides guidebooks for Scholarship Searching.
eHow.com offers additional information on scholarships for women attending theological schools .