Dean Townes' insights from September's E-Newsletter, Spire
Dear alumni/ae and friends,
One of my favorite parts of the new school year is the opportunity to engage with so many noted scholars, writers, artists and others who come to the Divinity School to inspire and often challenge us in our personal and spiritual journeys.
I hope that you will be able to join us for many of these talks, especially the ones by Nikky Finney, our 2015 Cole Lecturer. Finney, whose Head Off & Split won the National Book Award for poetry in 2011, grew up in South Carolina during the civil rights and black arts movements. She returned to her home state in 2013 to be the John H. Bennett Jr. Chair in Southern Letters and Literature at the University of South Carolina.
Read more here
VDS Voices Blog
- Alumni/ae Tuesday – Khette Cox, MDiv’09 — Our monthly Alumni/ae Tuesday Guest Post series on the VDS Voices blog highlights posts written by VDS and GDR alumni/ae. Hear firsthand about their important work in the community, collaborations with other alumni/ae and faculty, and much more. Be sure to also check out the Divinity School Instagram feed every Tuesday for our Alumni/ae Instagram Takeover Day....October 13, 2015
- READ THIS BOOK – October 2015 — Each month, we ask a member of the Vanderbilt Divinity School faculty to recommend a book they are currently reading. Our October recommendation is offered by Paul DeHart, Professor of Theology and Chair, The Graduate Department of Religion. Peter Brown, Through the Eye of a Needle: Wealth, the Fall of Rome, and the Making of Christianity...October 11, 2015
- Imagination Grant: Community Engagement and Religion in Yaxhachen, Yucatán, Mexico — The Imagination Grant seek to advance global learning, theological reflection, and leadership skills and support creative, non-credit bearing projects proposed by students. The funds can be used to cover travel and expenses for global immersion experiences, and are typically utilized during summers. by Chelsey Overstreet Hedglin, 2nd Year MDiv This summer, I was given the opportunity...October 7, 2015
- More from VDS Voices»
News from VDS
- What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? Vandy prof, Amy-Jill Levine answers October 9, 2015
- VDS alumna Blair Tolbert, MDiv'10 named Dean of Chapel & College Minster at Young Harris College October 1, 2015
- Professor Choon-Leong Seow presents “Consequences of Scripture: the Case of Job” as part of the Gunning Lecture Series at The University of Edinburgh September 30, 2015
- More News »