Among the many commitments Vanderbilt Divinity School tries to live into, we pursue our vocations with a deep appreciation and engagement of the religious pluralism in our world. As scholars of religion, we know there is no one version of any faith tradition, including Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. As academics and people of faith, we abhor any attempts to demonize other religious traditions. We believe in interreligious understanding and encourage all to join us to better understand all faith traditions in their rich and sometimes troubling diversity and to acknowledge that violent extremism in all faiths violates the basic tenets and beliefs of the vast majority of their adherents.
Click here for a short statement from the Department of Religious Studies.
VDS Voices Blog
- Three Questions with Professor David Michelson — David Michelson is the Assistant Professor of the History of Christianity, Vanderbilt Divinity School. Professor Michelson leads our next Community Breakfast titled, Who are the Christians of Syria and Iraq? on Thursday, February 5 at 7:30 a.m. For our readers to become acquainted with Professor Michelson, we asked him to respond to three questions. 1....January 28, 2015
- Authorial Intentions — By Chris Benda, Theological Librarian Authorial Intentions, the Divinity and Graduate Department of Religion faculty interview podcast, turns 5 this year. Thanks to faculty participation, we have 25 podcasts archived. The podcasts give faculty an opportunity to talk about recent publications – typically, a book. This past November, however, Dave Michelson discussed the digital humanities...January 21, 2015
- Honoring the Life of Design — by Katy Scrogin, MTS’03 I ditched my car when I moved to Chicago. Living in the middle of things, right next to a subway and bus hub, there’s no need to bother with it. And even during the city’s challenging winters, I walk the twenty-five minutes to work every day; I stay sane by moving,...January 20, 2015
- More from VDS Voices»
News from VDS
- VDS student leads vigil for sexual assault survivors held at Parthenon January 27, 2015
- Former VDS professor, William Edward Farley, dies at 85 January 26, 2015
- Divinity School to host the Art, Advocacy & Action Symposium 'This Is My Body: Exploring Gender and Sexual Justice' January 26, 2015
- More News »