Dean Townes' insights from September's E-Newsletter, Spire
Dear alumni/ae and friends,
One of my favorite parts of the new school year is the opportunity to engage with so many noted scholars, writers, artists and others who come to the Divinity School to inspire and often challenge us in our personal and spiritual journeys.
I hope that you will be able to join us for many of these talks, especially the ones by Nikky Finney, our 2015 Cole Lecturer. Finney, whose Head Off & Splitwon the National Book Award for poetry in 2011, grew up in South Carolina during the civil rights and black arts movements. She returned to her home state in 2013 to be the John H. Bennett Jr. Chair in Southern Letters and Literature at the University of South Carolina.
VDS Voices Blog
- Imagination Grant: Community Engagement and Religion in Yaxhachen, Yucatán, Mexico — The Imagination Grant seek to advance global learning, theological reflection, and leadership skills and support creative, non-credit bearing projects proposed by students. The funds can be used to cover travel and expenses for global immersion experiences, and are typically utilized during summers. by Chelsey Overstreet Hedglin, 2nd Year MDiv This summer, I was given the opportunity...October 7, 2015
- Wild Goose Festivities — The Wild Goose Festival is a community creating a festival at the intersection of justice, spirituality, and art. The first festival took place in June 2011. We take inspiration from many places, such as Greenbelt, Burning Man, the Iona Community, SXSW, and others. The festival is open to everyone; we don’t censor what can be...September 30, 2015
- The Church and the Urban Community — The Church and the Urban Community course, taught by Professor Daniel Joranko, is an immersion experience where students visit and interact with exemplary urban ministries and community-based nonprofits throughout Nashville. An emphasis is placed on programs that ministry with the poor and socially marginalized. by Dori Schaffield, MDiv3 The syllabus described this course as being...September 23, 2015
- More from VDS Voices»
News from VDS
- VDS alumna Blair Tolbert, MDiv'10 named Dean of Chapel & College Minster at Young Harris College October 1, 2015
- Professor Choon-Leong Seow presents “Consequences of Scripture: the Case of Job” as part of the Gunning Lecture Series at The University of Edinburgh September 30, 2015
- Professor Paul Lim is presenting the 2015 Deere Lectures at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary September 29, 2015
- More News »