Rev. Dr. Emilie M. Townes
Dean of Vanderbilt Divinity School
E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Professor of Womanist Ethics and Society.
Dean Townes' insights from October's E-Newsletter, Spire
While it seems like the new school year has just begun, our Admissions, Vocation, and Stewardship staff members are focused intently on student recruitment for 2014–2015 and our continuing efforts to diversify our student body.
If you know any outstanding prospective students, please encourage them to register for our 'Dores to Divinity official visit days, scheduled Oct. 30, Nov. 12 and 21. They can explore our beautiful campus, attend a class and meet current students and faculty. There's also a session highlighting our supportive and inclusive VDS community.
VDS Voices Blog
- Jennifer Lane: Military Ministry and Sister Saints in Sacrifice — This season after Pentecost, the Spirit is speaking to me through sisterhood: the unique and powerful sisterhood I have found in the Army Chaplain Corps. Often these sister saints are other female chaplains like Mary Miriti, Sharonda Watson, Lauren Hughes, Brittney Wooten, Delana Small and Roxanne Birchfield (yes, the one from “Survivor Phillipines”.) However, sometimes...October 15, 2014
- READ THIS BOOK – October 2014 — Each month, we ask a member of the Vanderbilt Divinity School faculty to recommend a book they are currently reading. Our October recommendation is offered by David A. Michelson, Assistant Professor of the History of Christianity, Affiliate Faculty Member in Classics and Islamic Studies. My recommendation for this month is Saint Isaac of Nineveh, On Asetical...October 12, 2014
- Schola Prophetarum — Schola Prophetarum: Language in the Global Health Arena for HIV/AIDS and Family Planning by: Jennifer Eaton Dyer, MTS’01, PhD’07 Eating lunch outside the refectory of Vanderbilt Divinity School, back around the turn of the millennium, I remember stumbling across the stone etching of Schola Prophetarum, the School of the Prophets. I am sure all who have...October 8, 2014
- More from VDS Voices»
News from VDS
- A conversation with Faculty Senate Chair and VDS Professor Paul Lim October 23, 2014
- Dean Emilie M. Townes writes in the Tennessean Opininon: A TenCare lament October 22, 2014
- Apple, Facebook Insinuate 'Mothers Are Not Welcomed in the Workplace' With Freezing Egg Benefit. Lyndsey Godwin quoted October 20, 2014
- More News »