Students seeking the M.Div. and MTS degrees at the Divinity School are eligible to apply for one or more of the certificate programs offered by VDS programs or by other entities at the University. To receive a certificate, one must take 15 credit hours of courses in the designated area. Most certificates also require a final project. Specific requirements are determined by the entity that offers the Certificate.
Each certificate aligns with the concentration connected to it. Students pursuing more than one VDS certificate should consult with the respective Program Directors regarding courses or projects that can count toward both certificates.
Certificates Offered by VDS
Students are eligible to apply during the spring semester of their first year of study, or at any point prior to graduation. Courses taken at VDS prior to admission to a Certificate program can be counted toward the requirements.
- Carpenter Program in Religion, Gender and Sexuality - Explores the complex set of issues dealing with religion, gender and sexuality. It seeks to provide education and encourage communication within and across religious affiliations, ideological bases, and cultural contexts.
- Kelly Miller Smith Institute on Black Church Studies (KMSI) - Research and praxis on issues of theology and ministry in the African American church tradition focusing on education, dialogue and development.
- Religion in the Arts and Contemporary Culture - For future leaders of ministry to understand and harness the creativity of the arts for theological reflection and contemporary worship.
Certificates Offered by Vanderbilt University (and available to Divinity students)
VDS students may also elect to pursue Certificates offered by other entities in the University, including those listed below.
- Graduate Certificate in Diaspora Studies offered by the Department of African American and Diaspora Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Global Health offered by the Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health
- Graduate Certificate in Jewish Studies offered by the Department of Jewish Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Latino and Latina Studies offered by the Center for Latin American, Caribbean, and Latinx Studies