Events, webinars, and public lectures
Activism Then & Now: Equipping for the Road Ahead
Kelly Miller Smith Sr. Virtual Symposium and Centennial Birthday Commemoration
The Vanderbilt Divinity School's Kelly Miller Smith Institute on Black Church Studies joins the Kelly Miller Smith Family Foundation's inaugural event, a virtual symposium, for social justice activists, advocates and supporters, presenting principles and strategies for social change that cross generations and disciplines.
Relevant Religion Series: Radical Spirituality for a Just World
With Rev. Kaji Dousa, Dr. Iva Carruthers, and Bishop Yvette Flunder
Martin Luther King's concepts of beloved community - a just culture, common humanity of love and power sought a new purpose in a new social order for human flourishing. The theology of beloved community was conceived in a way of talking about redeeming and reconciling justice spaces through activist faith and love which cannot be contained by church domains or brought fully under its management but is discipled through the power of Christian love and spirituality. The revolutionary power of these concepts are necessary in a common struggle for a just world.
The 2020 Cole Lecture delivered by Eddie S. Glaude Jr.: "Fugitive Democracy, Ella Baker, and Black Democratic Perfectionism"
Spiritual Revolution: A Relevant Religion series
White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity
Society in Conflict: Public Health and Education
What's Behind the Mask? American Religious Responses to Pandemics: Part 1
It was God's own mighty plan: American Religion and the Hidden History of Global Pandemics, Financial Panics, and Racial Pandemonium
This is Woman's Work. This is Womanist Work: The Worth and Witness of Womanism in Times Like These.
What Dreams May Come Next: Harnessing the Prophetic and Pastoral Nature of Black Faith to Cultivate a Transformed Future.
MEET: TERESA SMALLWOOD
MEET: STEPHANIE BUDWEY
MEET: AMY E. STEELE
MEET: SOPHIA AGTARAP
MEET: LYNDSEY GODWIN
MEET: JACO HAMMAN
MEET: ELLEN ARMOUR
Past Webinar Recordings
Introducing VDS (Fall 2019)
- Dean Emilie Townes
- Professor Paul DeHart
- students Anna Kelly and Quentin Cox
- Director of Stewardship and Vocational Planning Lillian H. Lammers
- Assistant Dean of Admissions Laura M. Cheifetz
"Will I Master Divinity?" What We Do at Divinity School (Spring 2020)
- The Rev. Laura M. Cheifetz, Assistant Dean of Admissions, Vocation, and Stewardship
VDS Faculty Panel (Spring 2020)
- Dr. A.J. Levine, Mary Jane Werthan Professor of Jewish Studies and University Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies
- Dr. Bruce Morrill, SJ, the Edward A. Malloy Chair of Roman Catholic Studies and Professor of Theological Studies
- Dr. Lisa Thompson, Associate Professor and the Cornelius Vanderbilt Chancellor Faculty Fellow of Black Homiletics and Liturgics
Doing the Work: Field Education at VDS (Spring 2020)
- Professor Trudy Hawkins Stringer, Assistant Professor of the Practice of Ministry and the Associate Director of Field Education
Discerning Your Vocation at VDS (Spring 2021)
- Professor Viki Matson, Assistant Professor of the Practice of Ministry, Director of Field Education
- John Aden (MDiv 2021)
- Courtney Ariel Bowden (MDiv 2022)
Admitted Students session on "Vocations & Financial Matters" (Spring 2020)
- The Rev. Dr. Lillian H. Lammers, Director of Stewardship and Vocational Planning
Living in Nashville: Conversation with Students (Spring 2020)
- Anna Kelly (MTS 2020)
- Damien Pascal Domenack (M.Div. 2019, ThM 2020)
Living in Nashville: Conversation with Vanderbilt Divinity Students from Vanderbilt Divinity on Vimeo.