In its Master of Divinity (M.Div.) curriculum, VDS provides students seeking ordination in most major denominations access to required courses. Through its wide network of congregations in the area, our Theological Field Education program provides such students with excellent denominationally appropriate placements under the guidance of highly qualified mentors.
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
VDS contracts with Rev. Dr. Christal L. Williams, Regional Minister of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Tennessee to biannually offer DIV5355 History and Theology of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Students seeking ordination in the Episcopal Church access required courses through our partnership with Sewanee's School of Theology.
Stephanie Budwey also regularly offers DIV5356 Episcopal Liturgy: The Book of Common Prayer and Its Resources.
Presbyterian Church U.S.A.
- DIV5352 Readings in Reformed (James Hudnut-Beumler)
- DIV5252 The Reformed Traditions and Practices of the Presbyterian Church (USA) (James Hudnut-Beumler)
United Methodist Church
As an approved seminary of the University Senate of The United Methodist Church, VDS offers the following denominational requirements offered annually by VDS:
- DIV5350 United Methodist Polity and Policy (Soren Hessler)
- DIV6843 Theology in the United Methodist (Joerg Rieger)
- DIV6791 History of the United Methodist James Byrd
In addition, these courses are offered biannually:
United Church of Christ
VDS contracts with VDS alumna and UCC minister Rev. Dr. Lillian Lammers (MDiv, DMin) to offer DIV5354 The Polity of the United Church of Christ on an as needed basis.
Unitarian Universalist Church
- DIV5069 Readings in Unitarian Universalist History
- DIV5070 Readings in Unitarian Universalist Theology
Students seeking ordination in other denominations can reach out to the staff of the Office of Admissions, Vocation, and Student Life at email@example.com or to the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.